I am pretty sure he thought we were just talking. It is Thursday night after all. We have let too many Thursdays pass. Don’t let your Thursdays pass.
1. He taught me about about humility because none of what follows came out as bragging, boasting, or overly confident.
2. I learned the importance of kind words. I learned it through his kind words.
3. I heard respect in his voice, with the way he spoke to me, and through the way he spoke of others.
4. Service, “When you share with others you are blessed with things to share.” It was a motto while I was growing up but more than that it is a way of life for that man.
5. The importance of hard work. It just makes you feel better when you are doing something. Yes, it might be silly to do something just to cross something off your list. And maybe T, you just aren’t one of those task oriented folks that lives to accomplish the next task but enjoy the feeling of accomplishment.
6. Eat healthy. (You feel better when you do.)
7. Ambiance, your surroundings affect you mood.
8. What is the use of going out to eat with people you care about, if you can’t carry on a conversation in the noise restaurant?
9. If you don’t like where you are move.
10. On the other hand, if you do like where you are and things are going great, why change?
11. Moving isn’t always progression.
12. Family. (They are seriously the most important.) With story after story, I heard about the important people in his life who are the important people in my life. The examples and role models he spoke about are my grandparents, great grandparents, siblings, step-siblings, uncles, aunts, my mom, and my step-mom. Seriously, how can I be so blessed with great people in my life?
13. Return to your roots.
14. Follow the legacy of you those who came before you.
15. Record their stories.
16. Share their stories.
17. Care about their stories.
18. They are more a part of your life and who you are than you could ever know.
19. It is okay to miss them.
20. Talk about them.
21. Gather memories.
22. Reach out to the family you can.
23. T, you are lucky to have came from such a rich heritage.
24. The importance of timing.
25. Everything happens for a reason. You might think it is fate or coincidence but really you are where you are right now for some reason. What are you going to do about it? Why are you there?
26. Something that one person might be going through might be a big deal to that person, just because it isn’t a big deal for you.
27. Don’t judge.
28. Your problems are smaller than they seem right now.
29. Take time to enjoy the good moments.
30. Reach out.
31. You might be smart, competent, and capable but that doesn’t mean you always should.
32. Follow your dreams, and share your dreams.
33. Sometimes the thing you are most worried about not being able to accomplish is the thing that is holding you back for a reason.
34. Figure out what things mean.
35. Protect the people you love.
36. Be prepared.
37. To truly care about someone you ask about that someone, learn the important little details of their life and then ask about that.
39. Full filling civic duties will lead to a full life.
40. Find the value in the individual.
44. Find hobbies that make you happy, and keep up on them.
45. History is important. Learn about it. Engage yourself in it.
46. Inspire others to serve.
47. Look to the future. Plan thing out in the future. Look forward.
48. Friendship is key. Make sure they know they important roll they are in your life.
50. Cry, when it is needed.
51. Tell people you love them.
52. Show them, you love them.
Like I said, I am pretty sure he thought we were just talking. It is Thursday night after all. We have let too many Thursdays pass. Don’t let your Thursdays pass.